Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Spinach and Caramelized Onion Quiche



Spinach and Caramelized Onion Quiche

I love caramelized onions! Their delicate taste is sweet 
and they just beg to be married with something absolutely delicious. 
Butter and a drizzle of Peanut Oil
Saute 4-cups of diced yellow onions with a drizzle of Peanut Oil and 1/4 cup of butter. This was roughly 5-whole onions.


One of Chef Gordon Ramsey's YouTube video instructs do not cut through the root portion of the onion and you will not shed tears when dicing the onion.

Caramelized Onions 
Once the onions have caramelized (4-5 minutes) add 1/2 cup of red wine to the caramelized onions.  Allow the alcohol to burn off, turn off burner and allow the mixture to residue cook.



This Quiche recipe is for a Pyrex 10-inch Deep Pie plate.  

I use my Kitchen Aid to scramble the eggs, but a fork and bowl will do the same job.  

Scramble 14-medium size eggs. Add 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, 2-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground Allspice, 2-teaspoons Cream of Tartar, a pinch of Pink Salt, a pinch of Black Pepper.

Once you are happy with  this mixture cut in 3/4 cups of Spinach (previously frozen, thawed and drained spinach). The spinach has to be dry so squeeze all the moisture out (note: place spinach in a paper towel, roll and press with your hands to remove extra moisture). 


Set oven at 350 degrees and allow oven to be at this temperature for at least 20-minutes before you set your pie crust inside.  Place your unfilled pie crust in the oven for 10-minutes, carefully remove from oven and set aside.

The caramelized onions in the skillet have been absorbing all the delicious flavours from the red wine while you were preparing the egg mixture and getting the pie crust ready.  Now bring the heat back up on the caramelized onion skillet, then add the egg mixture to the caramelized onions, the egg mixture is in the skillet for only 30-40 seconds. Now pour the mixture into the pie crust.

Lastly, get a good handful of grated Smoked Gouda/Bacon Cheese and arrange the cheese on the top of the Quiche.  With a spoon force the cheese into the mixture. I do this step because I want to make sure every portion of my quiche has this delicious cheese. Place in oven on the lower rack. 

I heat up my mixture before I pour it into the pie crust because I want the same temperature in the whole pie as soon as I place it in the oven and I have found this method works best for me.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-minutes or as soon as your knife comes out clean/dry.


  The Quiche is light but dense with flavor.  


Pictured below is a Artichoke Heart/Green Olives Spicy Carrot Quiche.  I had an extra pie crust so I made another delicious combination.  Same egg mixture as mentioned above.  Saute 1/2 cup sliced green olives, 1/4 cup diced spicy carrots, 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, 1/2 cup fried breakfast potatoes, 3-roasted and skinned anaheim peppers (Chile rellano peppers).  Saute with a drizzle of peanut oil, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup red wine.  I like to saute in a cast iron skillet.

Artichoke hearts, Green Olives, Spicy Carrot Quiche

Note:  Lightly season your pie crust with Montreal Steak seasoning.

Hope you like this recipe and invite you to visit my food blog on Facebook where I am saving family recipes for my daughter.




1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy caramelized onions. I'm going to make this one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete